What's New for You at Suttons Bay Public Schools?
- Here are the plans for the SBHS Class of 2013: 30.8% of our students plan to pursue a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) career versus 25.5% nationwide; 30.5% of our students will be the first in their family to attend college; and, 96.9% of our students plan to attend a four year institution after high school.
- A group Suttons Bay 7th and 8th students visited Washington DC in May, 2013. Here is the group photo of our students:
From left to right:
Row 3: Carlos Bustos, Markku Smith, Jordan Kiessel, Eli Kramer, Thomas Hursey, Brandon Vang, Alex DeJong, Shantel Francis, Alayna Torres, Emma Grant, Amelia Hall, Morgan Jeffrey, Anya Woods, Will Faught. Row 2: Simon Kempf, Nolita Chippewa, Kaleb Grant, Jessica Christensen, Autumn Kwiatkowski, Bailey Snider, Austin Herr, Lyndsey Dalzell, Kaitlen Windemuller, Ryan Memberto, Jack Pasche, Oliver Creamer. Row 1: Marin Vander-Leek, Natalie Meyer, Paty Nuno, Evan Rohrback, Jesse Rittenhouse
Suttons Bay sent 31 students, accompanied by eight parents and chaperones, to Washington DC last week on a tour of our nation’s capital. Along with the White House, our visit included a tour of the Capitol building, Arlington Cemetery, Mt. Vernon, Ford’s Theater, the Library of Congress and The Holocaust Museum. Many memories were made with visits to all the memorials in the DC area as well as some fun at The International Spy Museum, Union Station and souvenir shopping. A stop at the Flight 93 memorial in Pennsylvania and meeting WWII veterans from an Honor Flight at the WWII Memorial were among the emotional highlights. Suttons Bay students proudly represented our school and Leelanau County.
- In partnership with Northwestern Michigan College, Suttons Bay Public Schools now offers an EARLY COLLEGE option that allows students to complete both a complete high school curriculum and two years of college in just five years, at no tuition/fee cost to the family! For more information please click HERE.
- FREE BREAKFAST and FREE LUNCH: We are excited about being able to offer FREE breakfast and FREE lunch for every student who goes to Suttons Bay Elementary School. It may seem hard to believe, but it is TRUE. As of Monday, October 10th, 2011, any and EVERY student is able to eat breakfast and lunch for free. Educationally, we know that when children receive proper nutrition, they are in a better position to learn. By meeting a basic need for all of our students, we will be able to focus on learning. We are really excited about this grant and that the grant will last for four years!
- French, Spanish and Anishnaabemowin language instruction in grades 5 to 12
- Band (top ratings at District and State Band Festivals)
- Concert, Jazz and Marching Band
- Fine and Performing Arts (Musicals, Plays and Collage)
- Athletics (state ranked teams)
- Laptops for all students in grades 5 to 12
- State of the Art Technology K - 12
- Winner of State Dropout Challenge competion (SBHS one of only three schools in the state to win!)
- Blended Learning
- S'Cool Moves - Here is a link to YouTube to give you a sense of what this program does. It is a good use of research into brain development that shows us that the pathway to reading readiness in very much connected to physical development. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7osnm0Raw&feature=youtu.be
- Hybrid Instruction
- FIRST Robotics Team (State Finals)
- Odyssey of the Mind (State Finals)
- Gifted & Talented Program
- STEM Focus (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Business Professionals of America (Nationals)
- Service Learning
- Virtual School (Access to Thousands of Online Courses)
- University Partnerships
- Customized Scheduling
- Individual Learning Plans
- AP Calculus
- AP Statistics
- AP Literature and Composition
- SEEDS After School Program
- Work Experience
- Project-Based Learning
- Summer School
- Credit Protection
- Credit Recovery
- Student Council
- National Honor Society
- Culterally Diverse Student Body/Exchange Program
- Safe Schools
- Supportive Community/Chamber of Commerce
If you don't find it here, we'll find it for you!