All About FOFA 2012-13
Friends of Fine Arts at Suttons Bay Schools (FOFA) was formed in 2000 by a small group of parents, teachers and community members who wished to promote the arts in our schools, to:
- Encourage, recognize and support student achievement in the fine arts through events like “Collage”
- Support existing visual arts, band, choir and drama programs in any way possible, such as providing local publicity for events, and raising money for uniforms, instruments and art supplies
- Secure, through fund-raising or other projects, extra materials and educational opportunities that are not otherwise provided by the school budget
- Encourage and develop a close relationship between students, educators, parents and the community regarding the fine arts
FOFA presently underwrites the following fine arts opportunities with help from the Suttons Bay Art Festival, the Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs, and donors like you:
- Violin Exploration, run by Jan Ostrowski and Margaret Lott, gives many elementary school grades a chance to experiment with the violin a few months during the year and give an on-stage concert to parents.
- “Collage” an evening showcasing many student arts groups like jazz band, drama, small ensembles, photography exhibit, video animation presentation and visual arts displays from K-12 students. This year’s 12th annual event will be Friday, May 10th, 2013.
- Special In-School Performances for students in the auditorium by outstanding musical or theatrical groups from the area or from the Dennos Museum Series, or Michigan Humanities Touring programs.
- Band Student Mentoring is a program underwritten by FOFA and the Suttons Bay Art Festival to bring in experienced instrumentalists to work with all levels of band students on technique and intonation. This is the mentorship program’s 7th year.
FOFA meets usually the second Tuesday each month at 3:30 pm in the Suttons Bay High School Art Room. You are most welcome to attend!
FOFA Officers for 2012-13
Jan Ostrowski, president
Bill Perkins, vice-president
Lynne Perkins, secretary
Donna Popke, treasurer
Mary Hall & Emily Morgan-Booth, student support co-chairs
Sue Chapman, school liaison